Whether you’ve decided to homeschool or you’re considering the option, here are some links to home schooling resources which can help you get started.
If you are considering this big commitment, we highly recommend you attend a homeschool conference or expo before taking the plunge.
Local Homeschooling Support Groups
Local home schooling groups and co-opts provide educational, recreational, and/or social opportunities. With about 3% of children in America currently being homeschooled, chances are you know several families who homeschool. Ask them which groups they belong to. Here are four home schooling co-opts in our area.
A2Z Loop ~ A2Z Loop is an all-inclusive support group open to all homeschool families in the Auburn\Opelika, Alabama area regardless of differences in beliefs, cultures, nationality, race, religion, or method of home schooling.
West Georgia Homeschool Association ~ This group focuses on supporting LaGrange and surrounding area homeschool families by offering monthly parent meetings, field trip opportunities, and informational resources. All denominations and teaching styles are welcomed. Email: [email protected].
- Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) ~
- Georgia Dept of Education ~
- Chattahoochee Valley Library ~
- ALEX: Alabama Learning Exchange ~
- The Homeschool Mom ~
- Homeschool Resources ~
- A to Z Home’s Cool (Homeschool) ~
- Georgia Home Educators Assoc
Alpha Omega ~ Offers multiple curriculums, including Switched On Schoolhouse, LifePac, Monarch, Horizons and The Weaver Curriculum.
A Beka Book ~ A Beka Book is one of the oldest Christian-based homeschool curriculums around for grades K-12. Features comprehensive, easy-to-use lesson plans. Meets or exceeds recommended Common Core content standards.
Apologia ~ Publishes creation-based science curriculum for grades K–12, Bible worldview curriculum for six to fourteen year olds, Apologetics for high school students, language arts curriculum, Constitutional Literacy for high school students, and practical resources for homeschooling families including the Ultimate Planners for moms, teens, and students.
BJU Press ~ Another one of the oldest Christian-based curriculums around. For students in K-12.
Logos Press ~ Logos Press is a division of Canon Press. They publish curriculum material compiled by the staff and teachers of Logos Online School, the pioneer in Classical and Christian schools. Curriculums for grades 2-12.
Memoria Press ~ Home of the Classical Core Curriculum. Also offers guides for teaching students with special-needs.
My Father’s World ~ Christian homeschool curriculum that combines the best of Charlotte Mason’s ideas, classical education, and unit studies with a biblical worldview
Simply Charlotte Mason ~ Explore our recommended living books lists and resources for each school subject and grade level. Our curriculum is designed to help you homeschool the Charlotte Mason way for grades K-12.
Time for Learning ~ Time4Learning is an online learning system for homeschool, after school, and summer use. The curriculum is made up of thousands of learning activities, lessons, and assessments which provide a standards-based education program for grades K-12.
Online Homeschooling (Distance Learning)
Computer-based learning may not be for everyone, but if it’s your method of choice, check out the following options for online, distance learning. Some programs are self-paced. Others offer virtual, teacher-led classrooms.
K12 Education ~ The nation’s leading provider of online curriculum and support services for grades K–12. Families use the K12 curriculum and learning programs through online public schools, online private schools, blended or “hybrid” schools, and independently through direct course purchase. Classes follow state requirements for standards and assessments.
- Alabama Virtual Academy @ Eufaula Public Schools ~ Alabama Virtual Academy @ Eufaula City Schools offers Alabama students in grades K-12 a personalized education tailored to their specific needs through individualized learning plans developed and supported by state-certified teachers. Tuition free.
- Georgia Cyber Academy ~ Georgia Cyber Academy offers Georgia students in grades K-12 a personalized education tailored to their specific needs through individualized learning plans that are developed and supported by state-certified teachers. Tuition free.
- K12 International Academy ~ A fully accredited, U.S. diploma-granting, private online school for grades K – 12. For students around the world seeking an excellent, well-rounded education, this school provides outstanding curriculum and a high level of support.
- The Keystone School ~ Offers flexible education programs for high school and middle school students that help each student achieve their unique dreams and goals. Whether your student wants to study full-time or just needs individual classes, we offer more than 170 courses from credit recovery to world languages and AP. Students can enroll at any time.
A Beka Academy ~ An accredited distance learning program for Kindergarten through grade 12. Textbooks from A Beka Book are used with video instruction for a college preparatory education. A Beka Academy offers a variety of educational options to include: Independent Study, Traditional Programs and individual courses. Students may use DVD’s for instruction, Video Streaming and live hook-ups for learning. Over 50,000 students are enrolled every year.
Apologia Online Academy ~ Offers college-prep programs in the sciences, Bible, apologetics, and Christian worldview through a virtual classroom experience for students in grades 7-12. Your choice of streaming live classes or recorded sessions.
BJU Press Distance Learning Online ~ An all-in-one homeschool solution. Daily video lessons are delivered to your child by expert teachers. Lessons, eTextbooks, and assignments can be accessed from our responsive web interface from virtually any device, including iPad, Android, PC, and Mac.
Liberty University Online Academy ~ Offers courses for online high school, (grades 9-12) middle school, (grades 6-8) and elementary students (grades K-5) with an emphasis on individualized learning. Offered by Liberty University
Logos Online School ~ Online education for students in grades 7-12. Offers courses in Integrated Humanities (History, Literature, Bible), Mathematics, Science, Languages, and Electives. Live teacher-led interactive classes four days a week.
Online Classical Academy ~ An online school covering all subject areas for students in grades 3-12. Specializing in classical education. Live, teacher-led classrooms. Flexible scheduling.
Monarch ~ An online learning solution offered by Alpha Omega Publications. Features a complete curriculum, extensive customization options, and a competitive pricing structure.